The best kids' dentists understand your children's fears and concerns and have the skill and experience to handle common childhood dental issues. Dr. Suzanne Fohl, your Frederick, MD general dentist at Frederick Cosmetic & Family Dentistry, explains how expert dentistry helps your children maintain good oral health.
Dentistry for Children
Kids have a different set of dental needs compared to adults. Their teeth are more susceptible to damage and infection (cavities). Here are some of the dental treatments that are usually suggested for young children:
- Cavity fillings and regular cavity checks.
- Dental sealants.
- Fluoride treatments.
- Orthodontics for pre-teens and older.
- Dental bonding to fix cracks and chips in teeth from roughhousing or sports.
- Crowns to reinforce damaged baby teeth.
- Space maintainers to prevent the teeth from shifting while waiting for permanent teeth.
- Mouthguards for children who participate in school sports.
Motivating Your Child to Care About Dental Health
There are simple things that you can do to motivate your child to care about his or her dental health. One idea is to go to the dentist yourself to be treated with your child there. Children learn and become more comfortable by watching you. Another suggestion is to brush your teeth and floss with your child each morning and at night before bed. Ask your kid’s dentist for literature that will help you have productive conversations about dental health with your daughter or son.
The expert staff at Frederick Cosmetic & Family Dentistry offer excellent dental care in a caring environment. If you're looking for the best kids' dentist, call Dr. Suzanne Fohl, your Frederick, MD general dentist at (301) 698-8200 to schedule an appointment!